Sunday, August 15, 2010

Birthday Baking

Lily's first birthday is approaching fast, and we will be celebrating in style I'm sure. To get the festivities underway, all of the babies in my playgroup that have August birthdays celebrated together at Stella's house. I will post pictures of that later. All of the mums who have August babies brought food, drinks, etc to contribute to the party. I said I would bring the cake.

That was the start of the obsession.

The party we all decided would have a farm animal theme since it was girl and boy friendly, and very sweet to boot. So I got online to the bakery at Publix thinking, farm animal, has to be a fairly common idea, of course there will be a cake, but no. Seems to be that the majority of kid's cakes are cartoon characters.

So then I went searching online for people that had baked their own cakes. And in my usual style I think, yeah of course I can do this, just follow people's instructions and voila. I thought, if I can just bake a rectangular cake, frost it green, and then put the farm theme candles on there, done. Then the party grew in size and I kept seeing these amazing cakes online and it turned into something a little fancier than I planned.

The Thursday before the party I had a bit of a panic attack, thinking, why didn't I just offer to bring bagels!!?? Trip to the shop and done. No, of course I insist on being the cake provider and now what happens if it doesn't work???!! No time to order one, well I suppose we will just be having some ice cream with some farm theme candles.

Anyway, luckily it did work, phew, and actually turned out better than expected. And tasted really nice!

This was the main part of the cake, it is vanilla flavor...
















These are some cupcakes I used to make the silo...




















This is a pound cake I used to make the barn...















This is the vanilla cake with green frosting...















Next step was to add the fence posts, made from Tootsie Rolls...















Then I made some cupcakes and decorated them with chocolate chips, marshmallows, coconut, and jellies to make pigs, cows and chickens...
















These are the plates that we had picked, they are part of all of the decorations that started all this madness...
















The finished product!!


No comments:

Post a Comment